Can you count the number of times you made New Year resolutions in January and by March wondered what happened? Need help turning those promises to yourself into realities? Follow these 8 steps to accomplish what you want to this year.
1. Before the end of January, write down what you want to accomplish in the next 12 months. List things you want to do for yourself, for your family, for your home, at your job. Limit yourself to no more than 12 items. Start with goals that are going to take many months to accomplish.
3. Set a date when you want to have your goals done. One goal may take you a month. Others will take you several months. Break the goal down to what you need to do weekly. Then break it down more so that you know what you need to do every day.
4. Figure out how to accomplish that goal. If you are not sure how, ask someone who knows or search the internet for the information you need.
5. Set up a tracking system. I use a paper 12 month calendar. When I follow my plan for the day, I put a green star on my calendar. When I don’t, I leave the day blank. I know the more green stars I earn, the quicker I accomplish my goal. That visual reminder motivates me to continue.
6. Reward yourself at the end of each week. It maybe something small, but something you don’t usually do. Stopping to get a cup of coffee at our local bakery is a reward I enjoy.
7. Find ways to not give up. If you have a day that you do not follow your plan, forgive yourself. Don’t dwell on it. Start over the next day. Treat yourself like you would a trusted friend or one of your children. What would you say to encourage them? Ask yourself, “why am I doing this?” Right down smaller, measurable goals on your calendar. If you get discouraged, motivate yourself by looking a few months ahead to see where you will be if you stick to your plan.
8. If you are not getting as far as you want to as quickly as you want, reexamine your plan. Does something need to be changed to get the results you want? Do you need to share your goal with someone else who will keep you accountable?
Getting done what you want to this year will not just magically happen. December 31, 2013 will be here before you know it, and you don’t want to look back and regret not doing what you said you would one year ago. Make a decision what you want. Create a plan and follow that plan. Keep track of your results to seek if your plan is working. Readjust if you are not getting the results you want. Expect and plan for bumps in the road. Don’t forget to be kind to yourself along the way. You can do it!